Sunday 29 June 2014

Are we nearly there yet?

The answer is a definite yes!

A rain affected weekend, coupled with being down in MK on Friday night, meant I haven't been able to get the sorting out done on the old folding camper. The plus point of that is I've been able to finish nearly all the jobs on Dai instead.

Electrics

The mains electrical wiring is now finished and tested. I'm happy with how it's all worked out. Since the main purpose is to run the small fan heater I doubt I'll need it for the next trip to Cambridge, and I haven't got hook-up for the one after that, but it will be useful sometime I'm sure.

I had assumed I'd got everything to do the job, but it turned out the mini-trunking I'd bought wasn't self-adhesive. That meant another trip to B&Q! I needed some other stuff so not too much of a hardship. I did manage to buy the wrong carpet tape though, so the mats still aren't fastened down. I must remedy that before I go away.

Cushions and Curtains

The first cushions I'd bought to go inside the custom covers were too small, I ended up giving them away (they were really cheap) so whilst out shopping today I bought two new, right sized, cushions at Dunelm Mill. Not quite as cheap (they were around £8 each) but they fit nicely and they're a shade of green that will match the curtains if required.

Having decided I wanted some new blackout curtains I'd searched the 'net and come up with a couple of possible suppliers. One was a real cottage industry the other a slightly larger business. The online estimates were comparable so I thought I'd try the smaller business first. Having picked out a fabric I thought would work I asked for a sample and a final quote, she did say in the email that she'd be going on holiday and that would push delivery out a bit but I wasn't too bothered. 3 weeks later however the sample still hasn't arrived which doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

In the mean time the other supplier had followed up the enquiry so I arranged for some samples from them as well. They arrived promptly, I chose one and placed the order. They're in the book for production this week and she's promised they'll be with me in time for the next trip. That's good because I want to try them as they hang first before I decide if they need press-studs in the corners to fasten them back (I think they will but we'll see).

To Level or not to Level?

Having read various forums there seems to be some dispute over the need for level ramps and whether they actually get used if you carry them. Coming from a caravan background, and from the days when all fridges were gas and needed to be really level to work, my feeling is that being reasonably level is a "good thing". I'd already bought a smallish set of level ramps (the ones from the folding camper are huge) and had them stowed under one of the back seats.

I decided to rethink some of the packing though and took them out, adding them tot he "take away when you've got the awning" kit. Now they're back in again! A further packing rethink has got them back in a different place - there's  a narrow stow-space behind the front seats which now has the ramps, table leg, car defrosting kit and my walking stick in. It's full, but I consider that a positive.

A Chair, a Chair...

To continue the Shakespearean headings! I nearly got caught out during the week as I forgot to put a folding chair in when going to see some outdoor theatricals. I have a variety of outdoor furniture but none of it is really small enough to carry in Dai permanently or even when away without an awning. A trip to Go Outdoors in MK didn't help (it did provide various other things though) and neither did a local camping shop. I'll keep thinking on that one but I suspect what I want just isn't available (i.e. something that will fit where the level ramps are currently stored but unfold into a full size comfortable chair).

No comments:

Post a Comment