Tuesday 13 September 2016

Rally Antics

Not a typical weekend away as I was stopping at a boat rally. It's an event I've attended for many years, even though I no longer have a boat!

The rally was at the Blue Lias in Warwickshire. When we first started going there they had a caravan events field, but I generally stopped in what was known as the Donkey Field next to the canal. Since then this has been developed into a full facility caravan site, they've made a very good job of it, too.

Having arrived from work on the Friday it didn't take looking to down a pint and get booked in. Setting up Dai never takes long but this was also the first time I've pitched the awning properly for my guests to sleep in. It was a bit breezy but the pitch was well sheltered by a hedge. The only error was having the awning slightly too far from the camper which made getting the figure 8 strips tricky to get in to the j rail, the plus point though was they weren't going to come off again easily!

For the rest of the weekend Dai behaved impeccably, the awning worked as sleeping accommodation, just large enough to get the two camp beds in (really it could do with being very slightly larger). It was quite good being able to sit with the side door of Dai open and chat over breakfast out of the wind and rain. I took the awning down in the dry on the Sunday although I'll try and get it spread out to air as it won't be used again this year.

That's probably my last trip of the season, depending on booking train tickets to Perth. I've got a fall back of driving up there, probably stopping overnight on the way back. It will be interesting as my first winter trip.

The awning will definitely be used again. I think anywhere that I'm stopping for a few nights it will be useful as I'll be able to take more stuff such as the Cadac and a comfy chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment