Monday 26 May 2014

Curtains & Kit

I took advantage of some reasonable weather on Saturday afternoon and Sunday of the Bank Holiday weekend to get things ready for my first trip away. The good news is that I've managed to get everything in! I may add some photos later but for the moment rain has stopped play.

Curtains

I thought I had a full set of both curtains and stick-on thermal blinds however when I checked closely this isn't the case. There are blinds for all the windows, although storing them takes up quite a bit of room, and curtains for the sides and back window, or there should be however the side curtain for behind the stove is missing.

I wasn't all that keen on the curtain wires stretching right across the front doors and the fixings to the front visors were fairly grotty so I took the decision to go with the conventional arrangement. I'll use the stick on blinds for the windscreen and front two doors and curtains for the remainder. I've modified two of the brackets for the curtain wires and shortened them so they now run to the B-Pillars and, for the moment, used one of the very front curtains as a replacement for the missing one. I also found that although there were curtains and a wire for the rear screen there seemed to be a lack of any way to fix it in place. Fortunately we have the technology and two new brackets were quickly fabricated and screwed onto the tailgate. I'll shortly be hunting around on the 'net and ordering a new set of curtains, preferably in a blackout material, but the existing ones will work for next weekend.

Kit

Kit packing in such a small vehicle is always going to be a cross between an art and a science. One of my reasons for this particular one though is that I reckoned there is sufficient storage.

After a lot of sorting through the kit I removed from the folding camper, the box of stuff I used for tent camping and the sheds I've managed to pack everything I want in. There had to be some compromises. I would have liked to take the Double Skillet as it's very versatile but space just doesn't permit. I was determined to fit nearly all the cooking & eating stuff onto the shelf below the sink and I achieved that by removing the outermost pan from the camper pan set. If I ever do have guests though I'll have to consider taking extra bits. The kettle and a mug will live in the sink when travelling - they're usually the first thing out anyway.

I'd noted when I looked the motorhome over before deciding to buy that the coolbox and Porta-Potti both needed a good clean. I only realised whilst sorting out that the Dealer had resolved this by replacing them with brand new ones.

With the cooking and crockery, etc. stowed as I'd hoped I've got a decent sized cupboard for food storage. I've already stocked up with a few tins and packets ready so I'll just need to add fresh when I go away (although in theory I will have absolutely everything I need to just take off if I feel like it).

I had to remove the shelf from where the gas bottle stows, clearly it had been used with a smaller Camping Gaz 904 bottle. As I've already got a 907 bottle (or three) and the 904's are a horrendously expensive way to by gas I felt the modification was justified. I've still been able to pack a few bits around the bottle.

The remaining bigger bits of camping kit, i.e. the level ramps, fan heater, etc. have stowed in one of the two rear seats. If I was away for a fortnight I'd need that space but they can stay there for day-to-day use. I know that for longer trips with the awning (when I get it) I'll be travelling with some kit stowed on the floor - I've bought a small plastic dustbin which can easily be chucked in with everything inside then chucked out into the awning.

1 comment: