Thursday 22 May 2014

Little Dai Comes Home

With finance and insurance finally all in place it was time to fetch Little Dai home. A friend, Steve, kindly agreed to drive me up to the dealer's near Nottingham and to hang about to make sure all was OK.

There were no problems with the handover - the chap reckoned it was the fastest he's ever done! That's partly down to the very simple systems on Dai and partly due to my existing knowledge. One positive was he confirmed there is already a leisure battery on a split charge relay, it's behind a panel. I also got the details of the 3 year RAC warranty. It's limited, but adequate and a bit of a bonus.

Steve decided to follow me home, a decision he might have regretted! The first problem was actually getting out of the dealer's gate due to the volume of traffic. We managed in the end but I was distracted and forgot to pull in to the garage opposite to fill up. As the tank was showing empty I carried on past the M1 towards Nottingham as I knew there was a garage down there. Quick fill up (very quick, it's a small tank) remembering to put petrol in and the darn thing wouldn't start. Lights came on, but it just wouldn't turn over. I was on the point of phoning the dealer when I thought to try with the clutch depressed - well I know now!

The weather at this point was OK but it didn't last. It deteriorated rapidly to the point where it was a very unpleasant drive. The Daihatsu seems more comfortable at an indicated 60-65 than 70, I fully expected that being honest and don't consider it a problem. In general I'll plan journeys around A roads where possible and just leave a bit more time.

It's now out on the drive and I'll be spending the evening emptying the Citroen and starting to fill Dai up! I'm going to have to be fairly ruthless in how much I carry but there's enough space I think. I don't think I can live with the existing radio for long so I've also got to decide whether to lift the one out of the old car or just buy new - I'd like one with DAB capability for when on site so the latter is likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment