Tuesday 14 July 2015

Radio Update

The car audio system continued to play up throughout the holiday, and I concluded that it was almost certainly the unit itself not a power problem. The symptoms just didn't fit the latter. The existing radio was a relatively cheap one I bought from Halfords, partly to test out the viability of DAB radio. It did have the advantage of an integral SD card reader but the lack of a CD drive was an occasional problem.

A bit of searching on Google suggested getting DAB and SD would severely limit my choice so I settled on a unit with a rear USB port instead. Further searching found a Kenwood that fitted all my criteria, front and rear USB, DAB and even a CD drive (which has a useful dust cover). I ordered it at a good price via Amazon on the Friday, and got a 32GB mini USB drive from another supplier. Both were delivered Saturday, good service indeed, so I took advantage of some moderately dry weather on Sunday to do the installation. I was able to retain the existing DAB aerial and everything just plugged together.

So far, it's all good. The only slight irritation with the new unit is the time it takes to step through the music sources, you have to wait for each one to come up before you step to the next one. I've even been able to set the illumination to green which matches the curtains! DAB reception seems good, on the limited testing it's had so far in what is a decent reception area, everything will get a more thorough test on Saturday when I head to Essex for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment