Wednesday 8 June 2016

Anybody remember which day this is?

Here goes an attempt at text and photos on one go!

Today was all about trains, no boats, buses or much walking involved. I've visited the South Devon Railway before, but I wanted to spend a bit more time there. I was, as usual, reasonably early (frequently a good way of being to talk to the people involved). There's a small museum at Buckfastleigh, which includes gems such as the only original broad gauge loco still in existence (the others are replicas).



The running engine was one of the ubiquitous GWR Pannier Tanks, albeit in BR black livery.



One of the major reasons for the visit was to stop at Staverton station which is the prototype for the model on my coffee table layout. I was able to get a good few pictures which will help with the scenery setting. I also had a chat with some of the "staff". It's their model and miniatures show in a few weeks, having discussed what I'm doing it was suggested I may like to take the model when it's finished. I did point out that may be in several years' time! They had a small bookstall which has to be raided. I picked up a couple of books and didn't even accept the change from the fiver.



I caught the next train to Totnes (again) and back to the start so I did most of the line twice in each direction. Back at Buckfastleigh I had lunch and visited their model shop before getting a few more pics around the site, mainly for reference in the future. They've got two static Pecketts which I photographed as it may help with the model I'm working on.



From the station I drove up into the town to visit the Ratio Models factory shop. They're part of Peco these days and have quite a good range. I bought some coal! It's been on my shopping list for a while as nothing else looks quite right. The one thing I can't get is a Tin Tabernacle, you can get them in OO Gauge but not N.

I was tiring by this stage (the bottle of beer I had on the train probably wasn't helping) so I headed back to site calling in at the Riverford farm shop for tea - scotch egg and salad leaves washed down with local beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment