Sunday 17 July 2016

We are Sailing...

And Kayaking. A friend organises a day of watery activities each year for the TOGs (Terry's Old Geezers and Gals) at the Water Sports Centre she's involved with. As they have the space I took Dai and stopped over for the night. It was a pleasant cross-country drive down through Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire to the centre near Waltham Abbey.

After a day of playing in sailing dinghies, kayaks and on rafts we sat out eating fish and chips and generally put the world to rights. Unfortunately the insects were definitely in a biting mood so we retired relatively early. Unusually I hadn't really set things up so it was a while before I actually headed to bed (it only really takes 5 or 10 minutes but I was definitely stiffening up and took my time). Can't say it was a good night's sleep but never mind. That wasn't helped by a dog fox starting barking just as I was about to settle.

As always I awoke early but the great advantage of having my own facilities is that I could make my bacon rolls and coffee without disturbing anyone else. I did have to apologise to a friend for not making her a drink, I only carry one mug! Nice to be able to sit looking out over the water in the relative peace and quiet though. Having spent the morning just chilling I again went cross country to home via Venture Caravans at Hitchin. There was no particular reason for visiting, just a look round. The trouble is that as usual I saw a large motorhome for a price I could afford but nothing small enough for what I need (except a couple of overpriced VW conversions).

I'm not out again until the end of August when I head for Snowdonia, but I have ordered the awning mentioned in the previous post. I still need to work out how to attach it to the 'van. I'll probably have to take it all up to parents' drive as I haven't got room here.

No comments:

Post a Comment