Sunday 21 August 2016

Awnings Away

Well it very nearly was!

A couple of weekends ago I managed to get some J-Rail fitted to the campervan. Having ordered a single length of aluminium rail (and been charged £12 carriage for it) the supplier then decided they couldn't do it mail order but it would have to be collected. It was too far away for that so I had no choice but to cancel and go elsewhere. I ended up with two pieces of black powder coated steel rail from a VW parts supplier.

Fitting was time consuming, if relatively pain free. The instructions with the rail suggested just bonding it to the roof but I wasn't convinced so I decided to rivet it on.

It was undrilled so I set to, cut it to length and then marked and drilled the holes (3.5mm initially for 3.2mm rivets at 150mm intervals). It's useful, but far from essential, having a pillar drill for this. I then positioned the two lengths on the side of the 'van, drilled pilot holes at the ends and secured it with self-tappers do I could use the rail as a jig for drilling the rest of the holes. Again these were 3.5mm as I intended to paint the bare metal and wanted the clearance. To give me a little bit of extra clearance I then opened out the holes in the rail to 4mm so I wouldn't have any problems when rivetting it.

I then painted over all the cut ends and holes in both the rail and 'van with black Hammerite, the latter wouldn't be seen anyway. Once that dried I located the rail temporarily and masked where the top edge would be with tape (should have done it while it was screwed on). A good thick bead of Sikaflex on the back of the first length, and especially round the holes and it was ready for assembly. I was using closed end rivets for the job as they won't let water in, with the generous amount of sealant i don't anticipate any problems. A few minutes with the rivet gun and repeat for the second length. The masking tape made it easier to remove the excess Sikaflex, along with some wiping where it had escaped around the rivets (a good thing it shows it was well sealed). 

Today I took the opportunity of moderately calm weather to actually put the awning up. No pictures yet as it was really still a bit breezy and I had to be quick but it was OK. It's not a great piece of kit, but a third of the price and half the size and weight of the Vango that I'd prefer. It works and it will do as somewhere to store things if I'm going to be on a site for several days or, the main purpose, as an occasional bedroom for guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment