Sunday 11 December 2016

The Scottish Trip - Another Castle

I didn't blog yesterday as I was in a hotel and in any case it would be boring (eat, drink, talk, repeat).

Having seen Stirling Castle from afar a couple of years back I decided it justified a visit. It wasn't quite on the way back from Perth but was a reasonable detour. I'm really glad I did go, it's quite spectacular in places. One of my first calls was to the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders regimental museum. The regiment only moved out of the castle in the late 1960s having had a long connection with it.

I don't generally go for the guided tours but this one was free and the timing worked out. There's only one thing that makes a good guided tour and that's a good guide, this one was excellent. He knew his history (he claims to watch BBC 4) and could put it across in an interesting and enthusiastic way.

The cafe had less to recommend it, £4 for a slice of cake is steep and it wasn't great. One thing that did impress me was that all the staff throughout were friendly, even if the were just walking through one of the courtyards they'd say, "Good morning!"

It was under 2 hours from Stirling to Melrose. The caravan site is right on the edge of the town, but quiet enough. It's fairly empty this time of year so I've pitched handy for the toilet block and water! It's got me a bit on the way to home, but it's still 5-6 hours so I'll be away reasonably early.

First job if I'm back early enough and weather permitting will be to give the 'van a good wash! It's absolutely filthy sheet the last few days of damp weather. I also need to look at removing the water pump to see if I can find what's wrong. I may have a night away in January so I can't leave it too long to sort.

No comments:

Post a Comment