Monday 29 August 2016

Snowdonia Day 1 - Trains, etc.

I made an early start as I wanted to visit a railway on the way, so left before 7, set the SatNav to "Avoid Motorways" and headed for the A5. There was only one very minor delay caused by a Steam Rally, plus quick stops for a breakfast sandwich and fuel, before I reached the Bala Lake Railway. I will admit to getting the yips on the road over the tops, you're climbing a steep unguarded road with a heck of a drop on your left side.

It's a pleasant tourist line, although there was a bit of a breeze coming off the lake into the open carriages. I've got quite a few photos for later publication. There's a 1 in 81 gradient back to the main terminus, the Quarry Hunslet pulling us didn't half sound good taking the load. The 1pm train, which was fully laden, was double headed which may have been even better.

It was their steam gala but there wasn't a lot more going on, I had a good wander and some lunch before making tracks round the other side of the lake to the caravan site.

For a Caravan Club site the warden seemed particularly relaxed, although I'd booked a non-awning pitch she wasn't bothered (it's quietening down after the bank holiday) and in fact recommended a quiet awning pitch and said not too worry too much about positioning.

I've had a wander round the village, taken a couple of photos, and I'm now having a couple of Doombars before deciding whether to eat in the pub or cook something. Should mention the pub is odd but friendly. It doesn't look much, more like a village hall building, and is a barn inside, but the landlord and locals have been chatty.

No comments:

Post a Comment