Wednesday 31 August 2016

Snowdonia Day 3 - Betsy Cood and Bedly Gert...

Which is exactly how not to pronounce two Welsh place names (but our late friend Cyril always called them that).

The rearranged plan for today was to visit Betws-y-Coed to go to the railway museum and have a look round the town. I was fortunate to be early enough to avoid paying for parking, finding space in the road down to the museum. As I was a bit early I went for a short wander down to the river and had a look round the 14th C church:



The museum itself is small, but reasonable for £1.50. There are a few full size artefacts and various models and dioramas. The model shop is decent and the tea room, in an old buffet carriage, is excellent - I deviated from my usual habit by having Bara Brith with my coffee instead of carrot cake (I returned later for a lunchtime baguette).

For some reason the town has become the home for several outdoor equipment companies, and in particular for their outlet stores. I ended up with a new rucksack, t-shirt and fleece for the Snowdon walk, they'll all be useful later though.

Before lunch I did have a ride on the miniature railway around the site, well I can never resist!



For the afternoon I drove up through Capel Curig and round to Beddgelert. It's a bit of a nostalgia trip round there, I even passed the campsite we first stopped at in about 1970 (a borrowed pair of ridge tents with a joining canopy, very effective). It's still much the same except the old corrugated tin toilets have been replaced by a stone facilities block - wonder if it's still Elsans inside? I did stop a couple of times for photos including this one of the Cym Dyli hydro-electric plant which is fed from Llyn Llydaw on the side of Snowdon.



I nearly got away without paying to park in Beddgelert as well since someone handed me a ticket, but then I noticed the Ranger wandering with his notebook, not sure if he'd seen but decided I'd best go and pay. I don't begrudge £2.50 to help the upkeep of the park and facilities.

I walked down to Gelert's Grave (if you don't know the story, Google it) as it's sort of compulsory:



There's a station for the Welsh Highland Railway just by the car park, as a train was due I nipped up the steep path. It turned out to be the Beyer Garratt no. 87 from yesterday. I took a few more photos anyway.

From there it was a wend back to site. I've raided the wardens' shop for some bacon so I'll fry a couple of rashers with sliced shallot and add it to cheesy pasta. I must get a few rolls tomorrow, I'll have the last Stottie for breakfast but of course I don't need much.

1 comment:

  1. I was told that when the Ordnance Survey were in Wales back in the 1800s, they always took a local around with them so they could check place names, etc. In many cases the locals didn't actually already have a name for their village, or whatever.
    The story I heard was that in North Wales they asked the local where they were. He looked at the trees all round him and the small church they were standing outside and I can almost see the 'what a stupid question' look on his face as he responded 'The chapel in the woods', only he said it in Welsh which was 'Betwys y Coed'. And that's what was recorded, and has been called ever since. And one day they might get round to correcting the date of the Battle of Waterloo on Waterloo bridge. ;-)

    ReplyDelete