Tuesday 30 August 2016

Snowdonia Day 2 - It Never Rains...

In Southern California, but by heck it does in North Wales!

I'd planned a walk up the Snowdon Ranger path today but a combination of a sore back and poor weather suggested a change of plan. I decided to "do" the Ffestiniog today and see how things are tomorrow.

I wanted to visit Blaenau anyway so was early for the first train. I had a wander round and took a few photos to try and show just how dominating the surrounding mountains are. The train appears to be coming out of one mountain:



I was pleased we had one of the Fairlies for the trip but you don't get the best of the sound on the downhill trip (the return was unfortunately a conventional tank engine).



It's a long time since I've been on the railway, and I'd never travelled the whole length that's now open, so it was all interesting. Going down I was in an enclosed carriage and photo opportunities were limited but at least I got a hot chocolate on the way.

Port Madoc wasn't a new experience, and was very busy. I had a wander round the small, but excellent, maritime museum, looked around the town and ended up back at the Harbour Station. This is also the terminus of the Welsh Highland Railway from Carnarvon, which was running another interesting loco, a Beyer Garrat articulated (see last year's blog for more on these):



I sat in the open sided coach for the return journey, I had the "compartment" to myself for a bit until a family joined me, I think the train was about full, annoyingly the person on the next seat forward spent the whole journey half leaning out which limited photo opportunities of the loco round the bends. I can't fault the catering on these trains, there's no connection to the open carriages so before we left one of the staff came and asked of anyone wanted a hot drink delivering at Tan y Bwlch.

I'll decide what to do tomorrow in the morning but I'm thinking of a drive to Betws-y-Coed (there's a railway museum) and possibly on to Beddgelert.

No comments:

Post a Comment