Saturday 4 April 2015

Who were the Quarrymen?

I'd planned to visit Peak Rail today but decided you can have too much of s good thing and would do something else - play Brown Sign Bingo (that's where you just follow brown tourist signs and see what you find). Without g trying I ended up back much where I was yesterday. The first brown sign, for a heritage centre, was a fail as it had closed. I did get a rather nice looking Pork Pie at the farmers' market though. The next brown sign took me to the National Rock Centre. It's another of those lottery funded educational type places that sprung up a few years ago.

Before I even got to the centre though I saw a sign saying Light Railway, so much for not doing trains! The Steeple Grange Light Railway is an 18" gauge rebuild on former standard gauge quarry lines. You get two rides for your money plus an interesting talk on Limestone and quarrying.

After playing trains and generally chatting I headed down to the Stone Centre itself. There's not a huge amount there but it would be good for, and is aimed at, kids. From there I wended my way back to the site for a reasonably early finish to the day. I did a quick camper sort, doing the water and connecting the mains electric. I'd not bothered with the latter last night and regretted it this morning when running the fan heater for a few minutes might have got me out of bed a bit quicker.

I've had a couple of doh moments this trip. Last night I kept seeing cars stopped in odd places and driving slowly, it was ages before I realised that it was a treasure hunt. Then today I saw someone behaving oddly in a field. Then I noticed the metal detector in his hand.

Tomorrow I still plan to visit the Tramways Museum but might yet change my mind -you'll have to wait and see (and so will I).

No comments:

Post a Comment