Friday 3 April 2015

Rainy Days in Derbyshire

Doesn't really look like it'll make a song title, does it?

First trip of the year is to the Caravan Club site near Belper, mainly 'cause there are several railway attractions nearby. I got on the road reasonably early and actually, apart from the weather, had no real delays from the A14 and M1 works.

Was a bit early for the Ecclesbourne Valley railway but a local coffee shop took care of that. It's not a typical heritage line (actually they prefer the term Community Railway) running mainly diesel railcars. I had a bit chat with the gentleman seeking the tickets from what is basically a steel garden shed. After I'd been for a wander he pointed me to a pleasant couple who're looking at campervans st the moment. They'd noticed Dai and obviously said something. We had a bit chat anyway and I have them a couple of pointers.

Having travelled the line up to Wirksworth I had time for a good wander round, a bit of a chat with people and a trip up the highlight of their efforts. The incline up to Ravenstore is 1 in 27, not much in car terms (although you'd notice it) but the steepest conventional line in the country. We were pushed by a Barclay's steam loco, it was very juddery with a lot of slippage. They're currently using the line to test some battery/3rd rail maintenance locos for London Underground (apparently a lot of the stations have steep grades in and out to aid deceleration and acceleration.

Having spent enough time playing it was time to head up to the caravan site . It's a nice site, but I'm in the middle of a huge pitch with my own water and drainage due to a rearrangement over there winter.

After pitching I walked down into Belper for dinner, fish and chips, very nice to but it was a bit further than I thought and it rained! Having walked back up the hill I then went down the other side to the pub. Nice point of Thwaites though, might go for dinner tomorrow.

One job had become apparent already, I'm going to have to replace the gas struts on the pop-top. I wasn't convinced last year, having tried a rearrangement on the packing they're definitely not up to the job. It's an easy fix once I measure them

No comments:

Post a Comment