Monday 4 May 2015

We Have Lift-Off

I only got one job done over the weekend, mainly due to the weather.

I picked up the new gas struts for the roof a few days ago (quite by chance the supplier is local) so in the sunshine early Saturday morning I decided to try and fit them. The old struts were 180N (18kg in effect) each, after a lot of thinking I decided to go up to 330N as the old ones were a lot weaker than required.

Getting the old struts off was easy enough, it's only two nuts to undo them compress them a bit to ease them out of the brackets. Of course I remembered to prop the roof with a bit if wood first. Getting the new ones in was a lot harder though as I could barely move them! Having fitted one I checked it, put the prop back in and fitted the other. I then tried it again but the roof wouldn't move - until I removed the prop again, doh!

Overall very pleased with the result though, the roof now elevates and stops there instead of having to be pushed up with the hope it will stay up. It's a little bit harder bringing it down with the canvas inside as it did need a definite pull down but that's a small price to pay. It also means I can make decent use of the storage tray that's hinged under the roof, I plan to use this for clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment